2. In a large skillet, melt butter and add chopped onions. Sauté until translucent.
3. Add ground beef and cook until meat is browned; mix well. Drain any excess fat.
4.Add Mexican Spice Blend and tomato sauce; simmer over medium heat for two minutes until warm.
5. Add cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese.
6. Stir until cheeses are melted and blended with sauce.
7.Turn off heat and add hash browns, mixing well. Pour into prepared 9 x 13 casserole dish. (If your skillet isn’t large enough to hold the entire mixture, layer sauce and hash browns in the casserole dish and stir to blend.)
8. Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until casserole is slightly browned along the edges. Add the rest of the shredded cheese and bake another 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
Serve hot and top as desired.
Toppings: Garnish with dried tomatoes *, green onions *, sour cream powder* or sliced black olives if desired.